Harrismith is within a 350km radius of nearly 70% of South Africa's economic activity. It is also located on major road and trail transport routes, linking Gauteng, Natal, the Free State, and via the Free State, the Cape. Local markets include those of Qwaqwa and surrounding farming areas.
The town has a growing industrial base. Manufacturers established in the town, and supplying local and international markets include:
- a Nestlé factory, producing milk powder and processed cheese, and packaging other products
- Nouwens, a large carpet manufacturer
- Boxmore Plastics International, producing PET softdrink bottles
- and a number of furniture manufacturers
Harrismith has a large labour pool which has a well deserved good reputation amongst employers.
Harrismith is also excellent farming country, and is a:
- top red meat producer,
- key wool and milk producing area.
- important arable area - a diversity of crops are cultivated, including apples and vegetables. Much of this is exported.
A number of professional people live in Harrismith. Consulting engineers, quantity surveyors, architects etc, are attracted by Harrismith's central location, lower cost base and high quality of living.
The town is also an important commercial centre.
Copyright © 1998 - 1999 Dorea ISP, All rights reserved!